This course consists of the required syllabus for the New York State course and satisfies the training requirement for all professions.
This training is designed to comply with the New York State requirements for teachers, teaching assistants, pupil personnel service professionals, and administrators in New York State as part of the Safe Schools Against Violence in Education Act (SAVE). It can also be used to fulfill the professional development plan requirement to provide a two-hour course for all currently certified staff, covering the items as specified in regulation.
The following items are included in the two-hour course:
- Statutes, regulations, and policies relating to a safe, non-violent school climate
- Effective classroom management techniques and other academic supports that promote a non-violent school climate and enhance learning
- Integration of social and problem-solving skill development for students within the regular curriculum
- Intervention techniques designed to address a school violence situation
- Study of the warning signs within a developmental and social context that relate to violence and other troubling behaviors in children
- How to participate in an effective school/community referral process for students exhibiting violent behavior
The New York State Education Law requires all applicants for certification as a teacher, assistant or administrator in a New York State school to complete a workshop on the prevention of school violence. In accordance with section 3004 of the Education Law all applicants must complete 2 hours of course work and/or training in school violence prevention and intervention. School staffers can use the techniques learned to alleviate uncontrollable situations in school. The Laboratory Consultation Service workshop gives students an understanding of the dynamics of destructive, combative behavior and tools to avoid becoming persecuted in school.
Upon completion of this NYS School Violence Prevention Course users will be able to: Identify the goal of the Safe Schools Against Violence in Education (SAVE) legislation, discuss the relevance of data collection related to institutional safety, discuss how the components of the SAVE assist in preventing school violence, chronicle how legal and educational domains promote school safety within the SAVE legislation and review risk factors related to violence in schools.
Laboratory Consultation Services, Inc. is approved by New York State to provide this training for applicants at all levels.