Child Abuse Prevention Training Frequently Asked Questions

Q1. Who must have this training?

A1. Since 1989, Chiropractors, Dental Hygienists, Dentists, Optometrists, Physicians, Podiatrists, Psychologists, and Registered Nurses, as well as School Administrators/supervisors, school service personnel, and classroom schoolteachers. Any person applying for a provisional or permanent certificate or license valid for administrative or supervisory service, school service, or classroom teaching service must have completed the coursework or training.

Note: Training received during medical residency does not satisfy the NYS training requirement. An individual who completes an out-of-state medical program unregistered by NYS who then receives training in a NYS residency program has not met the training requirement and must take additional training from an approved provider.

Effective September 1, 2004, this requirement also applies to Licensed Clinical Social Workers and Licensed Master Social Workers.

Effective January 1, 2005, this requirement applies to Mental Health Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapists, Creative Arts Therapists, and Psychoanalysts.

Q2. How often must this training be done?

A2. At initial licensing or license renewal, one time only.

Q3. Where is the requirement for this training found?

A3. New York State Consolidated Laws, Sub article 2, S 6507 3a

Q4. Who provides the training?

A4. New York State licenses specific providers to give the training. Licensees’ credentials are reviewed at the time of application to ensure competence to deliver the training.

Q5. What format is the training?

A5. This is at the option of the trainer and trainee and can include formal classroom lectures, video presentations, online courses, etc. Laboratory Consultation Services, Inc. provides only online training on this website.

Q6. Is the training different for different professionals?

A6. Some providers are only permitted by New York State to provide training to specific professional groups. Laboratory Consultation Services, Inc. is permitted to train all professions.

Q7. How long does the course/training take?

A7. Most trainees report times around 2 hours. Of course, you can stop at any time and continue later when you have more time.

Q8. What happens after I finish the course?

A8. There is a short quiz to help us (and you) ensure that you have command of the material. Answer the questions on the designated form and when you’re done, click submit. The quiz will be automatically scored to give you feedback on your mastery of the course.

You may take the quiz as often as you feel necessary.

Please note: the quiz is not submitted to any regulatory authority. The purpose is, as stated above, to ensure that you have mastered the material

Q9. Do you report my results to New York State?

A9. No. New York State requires that the applicant submit a copy of the certificate of completion to:

Professional License or Permit:

New York State Education Department
Division of Professional Licensing Services, [give name of profession]
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234

You may also FAX the certificate to 518-474-1449

Reregistering Licensees: Your certificate should be included with your reregistration application in the envelope provided with those materials.

Teacher Certification:

New York State Education Department
Office of Teaching
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234.

You may also FAX the certificate to 518-474-6950 or 518-473-0271


Q10. What if I lose my certificate?

A10. You may go back and reprint it any time